Free Consultation Toll Free: 888-470-6967 Cell: 713-205-2242 Houston: 713-664-3600 Dallas: 214-449-1922 San Antonio: 210-764-5235
Menu Contact

Are car accident pain and suffering damages available in Texas?

Assuming that you have asked this question because you are suffering in the aftermath of a car accident, you are right to investigate the damages available to you. In Texas, car accident victims can indeed seek pain and suffering damages in many cases. Working with a personal injury lawyer might greatly improve your chances of success in receiving compensation.

Pain and suffering damages may cover physical pain and emotional trauma endured as a result of your car accident. You are probably all too familiar with your physical suffering, but may need clarity on emotional suffering. Mental or emotional anguish can include things like anxiety, depression, insomnia and many other issues.

You cannot just claim that you are a victim of pain and suffering because of your car accident. You will need evidence to back up your claims. Some examples of solid pain and suffering evidence include physician statements, medical records, injury photos and medical bills.

"Pain and suffering" is classified as "non-economic damages" because it is covers non-monetary losses. Like many other states, Texas imposes a cap on the amount of non-economic damages a person can recover. This amount stands at $250,000, which means you cannot receive compensation exceeding this amount. Further, you only have two years to make a claim for non-economic damages.

If you need additional advice, it is a great idea to schedule a consultation with a car accident lawyer. This will provide you with personalized information and give you the opportunity to find out if you have enough evidence to support a claim for pain and suffering.

Source: FindLaw, "Pain and Suffering Damages in Texas," accessed April 03, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Email The Firm?

Bold labels are required.

Please note that First AND/OR Last Name, and Email AND/OR Phone are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

FindLaw Network